Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 11:41:44 -0700
From:      Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
To:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>
Cc:        "Roger A. Lowe" <rlowepe@nwlink.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are you?

SOme expansion is needed I think....
Jonathan Lemon wrote:

> On Apr 04, 1998 at 09:55:06AM -0700, Roger A. Lowe wrote:
> > I have been using a computer as a productivity tool for 20 years.
> > Most of the time it has been a benefit.
> >
> > I am newly a user of the internet, and stumbled on to you through a
> > link from Washingtion University.
> >
> > For years I have been frustrated with Microsoft DOS, and what seems to
> > me to be unnecessary complexity and obscurity.

That's why people use MACs :-)

> > If I understand what I am reading, Unix is a generic name for a group
> > of operating systems that does very much the same thing as MSDOS.

welllll yes and no..
UNIX is a geneic name for a set of facilityes that occupy the
same "Ecological niche" as DOS, but they don't do exactly the
same thing..

> Yes, I suppose that you could put it that way.  However, comparing
> Unix to MSDSOS is roughly equivalent to comparing a cargo jet to
> a single seater turboprop; they both "provide" the same functionality.
>
> > You are a volunteer organization that is maintaining and developing
> > a comprehensive form of Unix.  Am I right so far?
>
> Yup.

ahh no.
you cannot run all your DOS programs on unix
(you can run SOME using an emulator) and you probably can't run your
Windows programs either (exept a few under emulation and it's tricky)

Unix has it's own set of programs to do the same things. but they have
different syntax
and different behaviours. Unix is cryptic in it's own way to beginners
but once you "get" the unix logic, it all becomes clear..:-)

> > Next, I gather that at least in your opinion, FreeBSD Unix is more
> > stable, and more flexible than MSDOS, Windows etc.  Am I still on target?

Most of my unix machines only reboot when I reboot them

I've had uptimes beyond 500 days.

> Yup.
>
> > Finally, am I to understand that FreeBSD is compatible with any intel
> > cpu compatible computer, and with the existing internet, WWW or similar
> > computer interconnectivity systems?
>
> Definitely so.  In fact, a large portion of the Internet runs on Unix
> machines (FreeBSD or similar), although you wouldn't realize it from
> listening to Microsoft.

"compatible" is a trick..
it RUNS on those processors
but it may not run DOS programs (
As I said before, that may not be absolutly true)

> > I hope all this is true.  Maybe we do not have to be dependent on
> > Microsoft after all.

no

there are other facilities that allow you to replace NT servers with
Unix as well.

> I would hope not.  I'd hate to think that I've spent the last 10 years
> or so being unproductive simply because I don't use any M$ software.  :-)
> --
> Jonathan

julian