Date:      Thu, 18 Jun 1998 15:54:58 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Jeremy Shaffner <jer@jorsm.com>
To:        MetcalJM@utrc.utc.com
Cc:        metcalf@snet.net, questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: your mail

On Thu, 18 Jun 1998 MetcalJM@utrc.utc.com wrote:

> Thanks for the reply Jeremy,
> Can I ask a few more questions of you?
>
> 1. The video card I am considering is described by the
> vendor I am using as a "STB nVidia Velocity AGP".
> Do you know if this is or is not compatible with the
> NVidia Riva 128?  If it is not compatible with the
> NVidia Riva 128, do you suspect it is supported
> under XFree86?

The STB Velocity 128 (PCI or AGP) uses the nVidia Riva 128 chip.  You
shouldn't have any problems.  Your vendor just got the names mixed up.

> 2.  Are the 3Com or Rockwell you pointed out below
> x2 technology of KFlex56?  Are you aware of any
> US Robotics x2 internals that work well with FreeBSD?

3Com(USR) is behind x2, and Rockwell/Lucent is behind K56Flex.  Any knew
modem you purchase should also support the new V.90 Standard.  So you
should really base your decision on the equipment your ISP uses for
maximum compatibility.

I am currently using an Internal x2 Sportster with no complications.  It
is PnP but I have it jumpered to a specific IRQ and COM port.  From what
I've been able to tell on the list however, is that external modems are
preferred over internal ones when it comes to Un*x.  Perhaps someone else
has something to add to this?

> On Tue, 16 Jun 1998, Jeffrey M. Metcalf wrote:
> > Hi,

[some stuff]