Date:      Mon, 03 Apr 2000 00:01:07 -0500
From:      Mike Tancsa <mike@sentex.net>
To:        "Chutima S." <chutima_s@zdnetonebox.com>, freebsd-security@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: How to deal with intruder?

At 08:54 PM 4/2/2000 -0800, Chutima S. wrote:
>Dear all,
>
>I'm a new internet admin.  I found in security check output routine that
>many people try to connect to my server:

Yup.  Unfortunately, this is normal.  You will quite often see people
scanning for holes and weaknesses.

>That really scare me!!!  I don't know how to deal with them.  So I want
>your advice for :
>1. Should I try to contact anybody(admin at those server)?

Yes. Do so when you can.

>2. How can I trace them back to know are they?

By the IP address in your logs.  whois -a <ipaddress>.  Often however, the
accounts are dialup accounts, or machines that have been broken into.

If you are new to network administration, see http://www.securityfocus.com
and http://www.sans.org.  They are two useful *starting* places.

         ---Mike