Date:      Sun, 18 Oct 1998 21:02:09 -0700
From:      Ulf Zimmermann <ulf@Alameda.net>
To:        Mike Smith <mike@smith.net.au>
Cc:        Dan Strick <dan@math.berkeley.edu>, freebsd-current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: more 3.0-RELEASE boot.flp problems

On Sun, Oct 18, 1998 at 07:54:22PM -0700, Mike Smith wrote:
> > As an additional information:
> >
> > Screen comes up looking like this:
> >
> > F1    FreeBSD
> >
> > Default: F2 _
>
> This looks like the active flag is set wrongly.
>
> > Pressing F1, the floppy starts up.
>
> Any error messages at that point?  The infamous "read error" message
> perhaps?

No Error messages. Just beeping, even let it sit for a while to see if
it boots up, but nothing. I tried to set the Active flag, but after
rebooting agian from the boot.flp, it does not show up as active.

Here is what I tried:

Boot boot.flp, go into Custom, go into Partition, it shows:

Disk name:       da0
DISK Geometry:   527 cyls/255 heads/63 sectors = 8466255 sectors

    Offset       Size        End     Name  PType        Desc  Subtype   Flags

         0         63         62        -      6      unused        0
        63    8466192    8466254    da0s1      3     freebsd      165   C
   8466255        945    8467199        -      6      unused        0

Using the "S" option I set the FreeBSD parition active. Then used "W" to
write the active flag and the bootmgr. "Q" for quit, exit boot.flp and
reboot.

System comes up with the earlier described screen. Lettting it stand for
a while, it beeps, but nothing more happens. Pressing F1, beeps, floppy
light goes on for a momement, having a floppy in it or not, doesn't matter.

Pressing F2, just beeps, no harddisk drive light as far I can see.

> --
> \\  Sometimes you're ahead,       \\  Mike Smith
> \\  sometimes you're behind.      \\  mike@smith.net.au
> \\  The race is long, and in the  \\  msmith@freebsd.org
> \\  end it's only with yourself.  \\  msmith@cdrom.com

Regards, Ulf.