Date:      Thu, 17 Jun 1999 17:11:29 -0600 (MDT)
From:      Jonathon Doran <doranj@Colorado.EDU>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: A suggested kernel enhancement relating to kernel panics.

> Well, I am getting sudden/unexpected reboots and this has happened several
> times now.  Each time I look in /var/log/messages and there is NOTHING
> there... just sendmail log entries, and other stuff that makes it clear
> that the system was just going about its business normally, and then
> WHAMO!  Out the clear blue, I see the standard set of message you get
> as the system is actually coming back up _after_ a crash.

I am experiencing the same thing, when I use SMP.  I had no problems with
the 2.2 SMP (via patches), so I don't believe I have a hardware problem.
And things run OK with GENERIC.  I think there is a serious problem
which has been introduced recently, and I'd like to isolate it.  Are you
running SMP by any chance?

Jon Doran