Date:      Sun, 16 Jun 2002 22:05:18 +0200
From:      Alex <freebsd-reply@akruijff.dds.nl>
To:        "Corey Snow" <corey@snowpoint.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Building on seperate box?

Dear Corey,

Sunday, June 16, 2002, 8:27:07 PM, you wrote:

CS> I've seen some mention on this list of doing builds (like a make
CS> world)on a seperate machine from the target system. Since in my case
CS> the target is a 486 DX2/66 with 32 MB RAM and a pretty small hard
CS> drive (it's a headless firewall box), I'm obviously interested in
CS> being able to compile on a seperate machine.

CS> How does one go about doing compilation on a seperate machine- in
CS> particular, I'd like to know any pointers about building a kernel and
CS> a doing a make world on a seperate machine.

The answer to this question is written down in the handbook. (Only it
the old way). The basic idee is: Follow the steps on how to make a
world from the handbook. Do the buildworld & buildkernel on a NFS
shared dir and the installkernel & installworld on the machine it
self.

CS> Also, how long does it take to do a make world? I've recompiled my
CS> kernel twice on my 486 and it takes about 2-3 hours total, including
CS> the "make depend" step. I shudder to think what it would take to
CS> build the whole thing from source. I was planning on a second FreeBSD
CS> box on a P90 with 32 MB RAM, but that's also for a firewall. I'm
CS> thinking about installing FreeBSD on my PIII 550 in a seperate
CS> partition just so I can do things like builds and so on for my other,
CS> slower systems.

It hard to answer this. But i think it would take 24h (with the
default -O setting in you make.conf) and 8 hours with your PIII.

The build part sould not put that much stress on your system if you
execute it with a 'nice -20' just before it.

--
Best regards,
Alex

The FreeBSD handbook
www.freebsd.org/handbook

How to get best results from the FreeBSD- questions mailing list
http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/articles/freebsd-questions/index.html

Alternative:
http://www.lemis.com/questions.html