Date:      Thu, 27 Jan 2000 12:19:50 -0500 (EST)
From:      Steve Hovey <shovey@buffnet.net>
To:        Edward Kovarski <edwardk@digitalized.com>
Cc:        Majid Almassari <majid@ibroadcast.net>, Danny <dannyh@idx.com.au>, W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD certification

On 27 Jan 2000, Edward Kovarski wrote:
> Majid Almassari <majid@ibroadcast.net> writes:
> >
> > >From: W Gerald Hicks <jhix@mindspring.com>
> > > I know quite a few rather clueless people holding multiple
> > > certifications; they aren't necessarily any assurance that
> > > someone knows what they are doing.
> >
> > True, but on the other side of the house you got a number of seasoned what
> > so called Network Engineers with xx years of experience lack that solid
> > analytical systematic approach of problem solving as soon something deviates
>
> You are assuming however that an educational process is going to instill the
> required analytical skills. Many are quite happy being spoon-fed information
> which they then regurgitate.

<snip>

> Perhaps instead of concentrating on specifics, like FreeBSD, it would be best
> to consider a more open approach such as a BSD Unix certification which would
> entail all flavours.

Short classes on anything (like a 1 or 2 week cert jobby) do little to
ones way of thinking.

What I look for are items in their long term education (ie college) like
logic/philosophy and/or math that teach how to think and analyze.  Without
a solid foundation in thought, anything else is built on sand.