Date:      Sun, 1 Mar 1998 17:04:35 +1100
From:      Sue Blake <sue@welearn.com.au>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG

OK, this is the kind of thing I had in mind. Criticism welcome.

OBJECTIVES:

1. To provide a forum to meet and exchange experiences with other new
   FreeBSD users, in a tolerant, friendly and encouraging environment.

2. To help new users of FreeBSD to understand their problems sufficiently
   to present a well formed question to the FreeBSD support list,
   freebsd-questions@freebsd.org

DO I BELONG HERE?

Try this quick quiz:
  1. Do you know the command to make a file that lists all the executable
     files less than 2k in size that were created in the last 2 weeks?
  2. Have you ever done something incredibly stupid?
If you answered no to the first and yes to the second, you'll be OK.

RULE:

Try hard to never do anything that might cause another newbie discomfort or
confusion. For example, expressing annoyance at a post to the list causes
discomfort to many, and wrong guesses confuse if they are presented as
statements of fact rather than descriptions of personal experience. Be aware
that we're a sensitive lot communicating through an ambiguous medium, and if
we didn't make mistakes we wouldn't be here.

WARNING:

Don't trust any advice you get here! We're all newbies, and any response to
a question will be at best an uneducated guess. If you act on what we say
without checking its validity you're likely to do great damage to your
system, probably your brain too.

Throw ideas around and make your mistakes here, but if you want real answers
and guidance that's worth considering, write to freebsd-questions@freebsd.org.
If it turns out that you've overlooked something really silly, we're not
going to laugh at you. Our answers will often be just as silly. For
example, you could use this list to help formulate a question that the
helpful souls on freebsd-questions will find easy to answer properly. Still
ask freebsd-questions even if you think we've already answered it here.

--

Regards,
        -*Sue*-

find / -name "*.conf" |more