Date:      Wed, 5 Jan 2005 09:38:22 +0300
From:      Sergey Zaharchenko <doublef@tele-kom.ru>
To:        Bill Moran <wmoran@potentialtech.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Someone trying to break in.

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

On Tue, Jan 04, 2005 at 10:06:39AM -0500,
 Bill Moran probably wrote:
>=20
> Over the holiday I replaced a server that appeared to have been cracked.
> Basically built a replacement with the same services in a sandbox, then
> swapped it with the old one.
>=20
> The new server seems to be secure, as we're not seeing the spam coming
> off it that the old one was generating, however, I'm seeing a lot of
> messages in the log files.  For example:
>=20
> Jan  4 07:15:13 mail su: _secure_path: cannot stat /usr/sbin/nologin/.log=
in_conf: Not a directory

It looks like `/usr/sbin/nologin/' is someone's ``home directory'' and
that someone is trying to su. /usr/sbin/nologin can't be a home
directory, it must be the shell for some user who isn't supposed to log
in. /nonexistent should be the home directory. It looks possible that
your password file specifies /usr/sbin/nologin as a home directory and a
valid shell for some system user. Maybe you omitted or added an extra
`:'? Just a guess,

--=20
DoubleF
Dealing with failure is easy: work hard to improve.  Success is also
easy to handle: you've solved the wrong problem.  Work hard to
improve.

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb

--VS++wcV0S1rZb1Fb--