Date:      Sun, 26 Mar 2000 15:31:58 -0600 (CST)
From:      Don Read <dread@texas.net>
To:        Jim Freeze <jim@freeze.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   RE: How to access POP3 mail?

On 26-Mar-00 Jim Freeze wrote:
<snip>

> I only have remaining how to access my email, which now sits
> out on a POP3 server from my ISP.

<snip>

> He says to get popper from ports. I can't find it in ports. What
> cd is it on.

(q)popper is the daemon that lets "your" box be a POP3 server, not needed in
this instance.

<snip>

> So, what is the best way to get my email to my desktop, which has
> to dial up via a modem?

For X-Windows, I use xfmail; will pull directly from multiple POP/IMAP accounts.
I beleive mutt has a similar capability.

Another option is fetchmail, it fetches mail from the POP server(s) and forwards
it to your local /var/mail/~ using sendmail (procmail, ...).

> Also, once I get the mail, how do I configure (sendmail?, mutt?) to
> send mail to the outside world?

add your isp's mail server in your /etc/sendmail.cf :

# "Smart" relay host (may be null)
DSmail.yourisp.net
----

The mutt config file has a place to define the relay if I remember.

Regards,
--
Don Read                                             dread@texas.net
<your Company name here>                      will sysadmin for food.