Date:      Sat, 17 Oct 1998 20:37:34 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Marc Slemko <marcs@znep.com>
To:        Peter Wemm <peter@netplex.com.au>
Cc:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>, current@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: sleep() and Apache in release notes

On Sun, 18 Oct 1998, Peter Wemm wrote:

> "Jordan K. Hubbard" wrote:
> > > (don't know who wrote what part of the release notes, but...)
> >
> > I'm not really sure who wrote that (possibly Garrett, but I wouldn't
> > swear on it) but I'm sorry for the unfortunate choice of words.  I
> > should have proof-read the release notes more carefully - mea culpa!
> >
> > I don't think that any intentional slight was meant by it, just an
> > off-the-cuff comment in engineer-speak that problably shouldn't have
> > gone into the public docs.  Once we figure out who added it (I'm on a
> > slow link at the moment or I'd inspect the CVS logs), we can determine
> > just what was meant by it.

Thanks.

I understand how such things can happen and that no slight was intended.
If FreeBSD was broken in some way then we certainly would include that in
the Apache documentation in the appropriate place, after being sure that
whoever is responsible is aware of it.

I do think I prefer the other error in the release notes that you fixed,
which was:

   An in-kernel linker is implemented and intended to replace the lkm
   system with the bogosity that goes with it

<g>

> Earlier on, it was a real problem because httpd was depending on alarm() to
> wake up a sleep and depending on the SIGALRM handler not being called. This
> was quite some time ago, my memory isn't all that good from back then. I
> have a feeling that it was from the 1.1 or 1.2 beta releases.  I am sure it
> is no longer the case because the syscall that was originally added to
> implement these semantics has since been removed.  signanosleep(2) is gone
> and sleep/usleep use normal nanosleep(2), so this note is out of date even.

Mmm.  I am having some trouble figuring out where this would be since
Apache, as a general rule with a couple of exceptions, normally doesn't
call sleep().

1.2 did use sleep() in the parent process but I don't see where any
SIGALRMs would be involved there.

bccing to the Apache development list (since it doesn't accept posts from
non-subscribers).