Date:      Mon, 29 Jul 2002 11:52:04 -0400
From:      Jason Andresen <jandrese@mitre.org>
To:        Alan E <alane@geeksrus.net>
Cc:        FreeBSD Stable List <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Are submissions to add drives to /etc/disktab welcome?

Alan E wrote:

> I'd like to add my Maxtor 80 and 160 gig drives. It might even be
> possible to script the add based on reading the current (synthetic)
> disktab for the numbers, and the /var/run/dmesg for the Manufacturer,
> model, and interface type (ESDI == ATAPI, SCSI).

I don't think FreeBSD uses the disktab for HDDs.  The only thing I think
disktab is used for is "stupid" devices (like floppies and zip disks)
that don't report their own geometry.

> This (new drive type entries) is something that I would hope would be
> able to be added more or less simultaneously to -current and -stable.

It should work fine if you just plug it in and follow the directions
on setting up a new drive.

> Final question, since most of the drive wizards hang out here: why is
> the default value for an unknown drive 3600 RPM? The low end of current
> drives seems to be 5400 for the last couple of years.

Because the kernel ignores that value.  Last time anybody actually cared
about that value was back when 3600 RPM drives were common, and even
then I don't know if it was ever actually used.

--
  \  |_ _|__ __|_ \ __| Jason Andresen        jandrese@mitre.org
 |\/ |  |    |    / _|  Network and Distributed Systems Engineer