Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 13:47:40 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Doug Denault <doug@safeport.com>
To:        Don Dugger <dugger@hotlz.com>
Cc:        Bill Moran <wmoran@iowna.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: upgrades [each time more trouble]

It updates the base system. This is a moving target as openssh and the
crypto stuff has been added recently. It is that part of the system you
would install from the CD excluding ports and package distributions such
as XFree86. If you have a good network connection it works great.

Until 4.3 you had to track stable, assuming you are not a developer.
Stable has been "broken" once or twice in the past two years. While I
think this is a pretty great track record, if you happen to get caught it,
is a disaster of large proportions.

To protect from this rare occurrence, I cvsup to a test machine and then
update my network from that source tree. With 4.3 a security track has
been added. There was a post (here or in announcements??) that detailed
what is covered.

The process itself is pretty simple, I use a process posted to stable by
Paul Howes a while back. My version:

On the client system(s) you will need to nfs-mount these file systems.

        mount -i nfs server:/usr/src /usr/src
        mount -i nfs server:/usr/obj /usr/obj

Now, on the server you can do:

        make buildworld
        make buildkernel KERNCONF=client

And on the client do:

        make installkernel KERNCONF=client
        make installworld
        mergemaster
        reboot

You may also have a common ports source tree, just

        mount -i nfs server:/usr/ports /usr/ports

On Wed, 30 May 2001, Don Dugger wrote:

> I'll admit I've never tried cvsup, I've been meaning to look into it.
> How mush of the system dose it update?
>
> Don 8)

[cut]