Date:      Tue, 25 Apr 95 20:05:34 MDT
From:      terry@cs.weber.edu (Terry Lambert)
To:        eaparis@tinman.mke.ab.com (Eloy A. Paris)
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Just three questions

> 1) Are the IBM and National PCMCIA cards the only PCMCIA cards than can be
> used in FreeBSD?. I know that Xircom cards (the one I have) are not
> supported but it happens that I have a Megahertz modem that I am not able to
> use I do not know why. In the documentation, the FAQs, the WWW site and
> other places I have not seen anything about other PCMCIA cards.

I'm not sure about this.  It may be an architectural issue with the
idea of PCMCIA "enablers" or you may just be using less-than-current
code.

> 2) Why when I type the command "man <command>" it takes so long to display
> the corresponding manual page?. In Linux and other UNIX systems as well,
> that is very fast.

You have a laptop and you have to ask?  8-).

The man pages are stored compressed and preformmatted, but the first
time you use them, it has to format them up.  This is to save you disk
spce in general.

You may want to turn off the compression, and if you are a glutton,
preformat all of them.

I believe there are option on the man configuration files that deal
with this -- do a "man man" and look for the "Files" section.

> 3) Is it okay to make this kind of questions here or should I go to a
> specific Newsgroup?. I know you are busy people that are working very hard.

The questions list is what this is for, although there is talk about
revamping the whole thing to offer better/faster/more personal support.

Stay tuned!

					Terry Lambert
					terry@cs.weber.edu
---