Date:      Thu, 20 Jan 2000 16:33:30 -0500
From:      Mitch Collinsworth <mkc@Graphics.Cornell.EDU>
To:        "David Fuchs" <beastie@beastie.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: INN vs. DNews

>:) Me too.
>
>    The question still stands however, which is the better program to use
>for a full time news server?  I don't care about which is easier to set up,
>but what I do care about is which is the most stable, the fastest, and the
>most scalable (if scalability even applies for news)?

Scalability seems to matter as much for news as anything else.  Look
how much it grows.  I really can't answer for DNews since I've never
even looked at it, but I've been running the same version of INN for 7
years (on the same now-ancient machine) and the only thing holding it
back is lack of disk space.  It has been increadibly stable over that
period even though I'm probably many versions behind by now.  I've
applied a few security fixed over the years and have had to rebuild the
history file maybe once every year or two.  FWIW I _am_ planning on
building a new server sometime in the next several weeks.  Ludditism
does have it's limits.  :-)

-Mitch