Date:      Sun, 7 Jul 1996 10:29:20 GMT
From:      James Raynard <fqueries@jraynard.demon.co.uk>
To:        tcg@ime.net
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: makeing world

> > > I'm having problems making world, It keeps crashing and I don't
> > > get a chance to see the screen before it re-boots and eats
> > > my source tree.
> >
> > Any clues in /var/log/messages?
>
> Nope, Nothing.. I looked even though I didn't think make writes
> anything to log/messages.

It doesn't, but if there's a system problem (like a panic) it should
get logged.

My suspicion is that you ran out of virtual memory; when this happens,
FreeBSD starts killing off processes to try and make more room, and it
may have killed off init(8) by mistake. I don't think you'd get a log
entry in these circumstances.

--
James Raynard, Edinburgh, Scotland
james@jraynard.demon.co.uk