Date:      Thu, 09 Feb 2006 17:25:56 +0100
From:      =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Sten_Daniel_S=F8rsdal?= <lists@wm-access.no>
To:        Vitaliy Ovsyannikov <V.Ovsyannikov@kr.ru>
Cc:        freebsd-net@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: incomplete+permanent arp entries

--------------enig493086D4A8DE570B46823556

Vitaliy Ovsyannikov wrote:
> Hello, freebsd-net.
>=20
>   I've noticed what it is possible to make incomplete+permanent
> entries in kernel arp table.
>=20
> xx# arp -s 1.2.3.4 pub
> arp: invalid Ethernet address 'pub'
>=20
> # arp 1.2.3.4
> 1.2.3.4 (1.2.3.4) at (incomplete) on vlan1 permanent [vlan]
>=20
> In result of it's permanent entry, kernel doesn't listening for
> arp-replies for this host.
>=20
> My question is simple: is it bug or feature?
>=20

I think i understand why you ask though, the answer could easily go both =

ways.

But my conclussion was that, to me, the man page and the error message=20
indicates it is a bug. By that i mean that arp reports the ethernet=20
address to be invalid but it still performs the task as if the ethernet=20
address was valid and no synopsis written for this case. I'd go with bug =

and say that the same application can be done with 'route -blackhole=20
-host 1.2.3.4 127.0.0.1' or something similar.

If it turns out to be the right thing to do then perhaps you would be so =

kind as to sendbug(1) it?

--=20
Sten Daniel S=F8rsdal