Date:      Mon, 17 Feb 1997 10:42:27 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Gary Schrock <root@eyelab.psy.msu.edu>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: compiling upgrade from 2.1-stable to 2.2-gamma/release?

On Fri, 14 Feb 1997, Gary Schrock wrote:

> Ok, this has probably been asked and I missed it, but I couldn't find it by
> searching the mailing list archives.  Does anyone have any suggestions for
> compiling the upgrade from 2.1-stable to 2.2-gamma?  Is this such a pain
> that it's recommended not to do?

It wasn't in the archives?  I've posted this a good twenty times now,
although I'm premiering a new version for you.

> Basically, I've cvsup'd RELENG_2_2.  Now do I make world first, compile the
> new kernel first, sacrifice small animals above my machine first?  Any
> suggestions on how to deal with changes in /etc so that I can make them
> without wiping out the information there I need to keep?

Oh, barf.  That is the hard way and would take more than small animals,
most likely your first born child :)  The best way is to boot the boot
floppy for 2.2 and select the 'upgrade' option.

This is my new improved FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.2:

1)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally (including the kernel source, src/ssys!)
and any you wish to add.

2)  Hit 'commit' to start the upgrade.

3)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	. Your /etc directory is preserved as it was for 2.1.x.  You will
	  want to look in /etc/upgrade, which contains new & updated files
 	  for this release.

	. Using your old sysconfig as a guide, create a new sysconfig using
          the one in /etc/upgrade as a template.

	. You may want to copy over the rc* files from upgrade/, so new
 	  features in sysconfig are used.

 	. Migrate other files as necessary.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.

Hope this helps.