Date:      Thu, 3 Oct 2002 11:01:47 -0500
From:      "James R. Leu" <jleu@mindspring.com>
To:        zebra@zebra.org
Cc:        net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: [zebra 15605] BGP/MPLS VPN using the mpls-linux patch and zebra ldp patch

I'm currently working on exactly work your refering to.  It is going to
take a lot more work before it is realized, but it is my end goal.

Here are the pieces I have:

MPLS forwarding (linux only, in theory the work from NIST could be used for
  FreeBSD)
LDP signaling integrated with zebra (this should work on any platform,
  but it is pretty reliant on the linux mpls stack right now)
Kernel support for VRFs (linux only, http://sf.net/projects/linux-vrf/)
BGP next hop resolution to LDP LSPs (infrastruture is platform indepedent)

I still need:

zebra CLI for configuring VRFs (just checked into zebra CVS?)
BGP code to propogate IPv4-VPN NLRI (might already be in zebra?)
Plateform independent MPLS LSR infrastructure (this will allow LDP signalling,
  static LSPs, and BGP learn label mappings to be "installed" into a plateform
  independent layer.  This layer will then handle the details of how to install
  labels into a plateform specific forwarding plan. This will also be a
  perfect place for a label manager)
PE-CE routing protocols (start with static routing built on linux-vrf, but
  linux-vrf has the ability to bind sockets to VRFs, so in theory a entire
  routing daemon could be attached to a VRF like ospfd, bgpd or ripd)

I've overly simplified much of what is here, and I'm sure I've missing items.
So as you can see there is still a lot of work to do.  If anyone else is
working on related items, please let me know.

Jim

--
James R. Leu