Date:      Sun, 7 Jun 2009 12:57:02 -0600
From:      Geoff Fritz <gfritz@gmail.com>
To:        Wojciech Puchar <wojtek@wojtek.tensor.gdynia.pl>
Cc:        "John ." <comp.john@googlemail.com>, Geoff Fritz <gfritz@gmail.com>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: please recommend a disk-exercising program?

On Sun, Jun 07, 2009 at 07:49:41PM +0200, Wojciech Puchar wrote:

> > I've seen several mentions of "dd" in this thread, and I'll say that I've
> > seen several recommendations elsewhere to use a simple:
> >
> > 	dd if=/dev/<device> of=/dev/<device>
>
> forgot bs=1m or at least 64kB, unless you like to wait days with default
> bs=512

Such things should be understood, more or less.  I didn't want to confuse the
issue with extra options.  But you are correct.  These options will greatly
speed up the process for dd.

It's not like the badblocks command is particularly speedy, either.  I imagine
that *any* thorough drive test would take a long while given today's typical
drive size.

-- Geoff