Date:      Wed, 30 May 2001 19:17:18 +0100
From:      David Larkin <David.Larkin@djl.co.uk>
To:        questions@freebsd.org, hardware@freebsd.org, dirkx@covalent.net
Subject:   No disk found !

Hello List,

I'm trying to install 4.3 on my laptop.

I've been happilly running 2.2.8 for over 2 years on the same machine.

The machine (Twinhead SLV X2) has removeable disks, and I'm trying to

install on  a fresh disk straight out of the box.

BIOS detects the disk OK

Fixed Disk 0 : HITACHI DK_23AA-90

Primary Master  [8455MB]

Primary Slave [CDROM]

Large Disk Access Mode [DOS] .... changed this to 'Other'

Type [Auto] ... I can change this to User

Cylinders 17475

Heads 15

Sectors 63

Max Capacity 8455 MB

I checked the geometry on my working 2.2.8 disk (IBM DKLA-24320) and the

Heads/ Sector values are the same, but less cylinders.

I've booted from 4.3 floppies. I'm assuming it is no longer necessary to

use PAO floppies, yes ?

The kernel detects the disk controller ata0 / ata1.

When it comes to selecting a disk in installation, it reports

No disk found ! Please verify that your disk controller is being properly

probed at boot time. See the hardware guide on the Documentation Menu ......

So, I tried going into 'Configure Kernel' and expanded the Storage area.

It list the following under 'Active Drivers'

ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller ata0   14   0x1f0

ATA/ATAPI compatible disk controller ata1   15   0x170

Does this mean that it has found the disk controller or simply

that it looking for it

Can anyone advise on what the problem  could be, and if possible suggest
a way forward.

Thanks
David