Date:      Thu, 19 Sep 1996 09:53:24 -0400
From:      Garrett Wollman <wollman@lcs.mit.edu>
To:        dg@root.com
Cc:        Michael Smith <msmith@atrad.adelaide.edu.au>, danj@netcom.com (Dan Janowski), current@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Various drivers...

<<On Wed, 18 Sep 1996 20:25:00 -0700, David Greenman <dg@Root.COM> said:

>    The Pro/100B actually performs better in some benchmarks for raw speed, and
> the overhead of the fxp driver is significantly lower (10-20%).

Well, hmmm.  It is certainly true that the overhead is lower (I have
graphs which demonstrate this).  It's also true that it's a dog at
sending small packets (more graphs).  For every NIC, the amount of
time to send a packet is determined:

	C = A + size*B + w(size)

For large sizes, the B term dominates.  For small sizes, the A term
dominates.  Based on my experience, the Intel NICs have a very low B
factor but a rather hefty A term; the DEC NICs have a much higher B
factor, but a much lower A term.  The point where the two curves cross
is about size==250 bytes.  Whether this matters to you depends a great
deal on your application; if you are running a Web server, it probably
doesn't, but if you are trying to do videoconferencing, the DEC chip
is much better.  (Having said that, the socket interface is so slow
that you are unlikely to notice the effect either way.  Our long-term
plans here involve rewriting the socket layer to eliminate much of
this problem.)

>From our results, I would surmise that the Intel chip has a more
efficient PCI DMA engine than the DEC chip.

-GAWollman

MIT, LCS, ANA, or NSA|                     - Susan Aglukark and Chad Irschick