Date:      Thu, 23 Dec 1999 12:57:29 +0100 (CET)
From:      Oliver Fromme <olli@dorifer.heim3.tu-clausthal.de>
To:        freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: AMD 3DNow instructions on FreeBSD

Wilko Bulte wrote in list.freebsd-stable:
 > On Wed, Dec 22, 1999 at 11:26:32PM +0100, Oliver Fromme wrote:
 > > Does FeeBSD/Alpha run reliably on an AXPpci33 with Quantum
 > > Fireball (SCSI)?
 >
 > Yes, no problem. My NoName is currently living with Marcel Moolenaar
 > for X-build testing etc. Running -current FreeBSD. Works great, albeit
 > slowly (21066 CPUs are just not fast).

OK, thanks.  I know that it's not fast.  :-)

 > If your NoName is the one with the broken PSU: any normal AT-style PSU
 > will work.

I don't have a "NoName" box.  I bought the AXPpci33 mainboard
+ 21066-166 and put it into a standard AT midi tower.  Spent
$50 for the thing...  Yes, I know, it's not worth that much,
but I just wanted to play around with AXP stuff.

A few days ago, it suddenly performed a spontaneous shutdown
and played dead.  The fuse in the power supply is OK, but even
the light in the power switch (which is on the primary side of
the transformer) is off.  Strange.

Well, I'll probably try to get a cheap used power supply for
this box.

Regards
   Oliver

--
Oliver Fromme, Leibnizstr. 18/61, 38678 Clausthal, Germany

"In jedem Stück Kohle wartet ein Diamant auf seine Geburt"
                                         (Terry Pratchett)