Date:      Mon, 19 Apr 1999 19:25:52 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        Amancio Hasty <hasty@rah.star-gate.com>, Marius Bendiksen <mbendiks@eunet.no>, Bill Swingle <unfurl@dub.net>, FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross Posting...

> In fact, cross posting is good.  The bad thing is that people on both
> lists get multiple copies, and that's a mail implementation issue.

I think you're ignoring human nature here - one cross-posted message
invariably (and I mean almost *always*) leads to every single reply
which follows it going also to multiple lists.  For really
contraversial threads, you can also count on the cross-posting fest to
eventually mutate to the point where the messages being cross posted
have nothing to do with *any* of the lists they're being posted to,
making hash out of the "relevance" argument.

And don't say it doesn't happen because I've probably chewed you out
as much as anyone for ignoring inappropriate cc lines in your own
replies. :-) When you're dealing with hundreds of emails, the
predilection for simply replying without ever even looking at the cc
lines is very strong indeed.

- Jordan