Date:      Thu, 21 Jul 2005 16:26:47 +0200
From:      Koos van den Hout <koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DNS service with a SQL backend

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s

Quoting Bruno Gallant who wrote on Wed, Jul 20, 2005 at 03:02:55PM -0400:

> We are redesigning our DNS infrastructure, which has been running on
> BIND with the regular flat files for years, and there would be a need
> for the data to be in a database. (postgresql or mysql, of course)
>=20
> I looked around the ports to find powerdns, but I don't know if it's
> good or not.

It's different from bind (this can be good or bad depending on your
perspective). It has a good track record in performance, especially for
large setups where database use would make for easier administration.

I know there are a lot of happy powerdns users and an active developer
community.

> On a similar thread, does anyone know of any dns server software that=20
> would serve different IPs depending on where the query/request comes from?
> i.e., - resolve www.mydomain.com to the IP of my server in AU for all=20
> clients querying from AU,JP and HK. Everyone else should get the IP for=
=20
> my server in US.

Powerdns can do that using the geo backend. Wikipedia uses powerdns with
geo backend.

                                     Koos

--=20
Koos van den Hout,           PGP keyid DSS/1024 0xF0D7C263 via keyservers
koos@kzdoos.xs4all.nl        or RSA/1024 0xCA845CB5                        =
-?)
Fax +31-30-2817051              Visit the site about books with reviews    =
/\\
http://idefix.net/~koos/                http://www.virtualbookcase.com/   _=
\_V

--SLDf9lqlvOQaIe6s