Date:      Thu, 23 Mar 2000 09:14:22 -0600 (CST)
From:      Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
To:        mark thompson <mark@squirrel.tgsoft.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, Todd Hansen <tshansen@oceana.nlanr.net>, Sheldon Hearn <sheldonh@uunet.co.za>, Guy Helmer <ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu>
Subject:   Re: CRON in malloc(): warning: pointer to wrong page.

On Thu, 23 Mar 2000, mark thompson wrote:

> bin/11169: warning: pointer to wrong page in cron(8)
> bin/9722
>
> Are these being worked on? I am having them in:
> FreeBSD 3.4-RELEASE #8: Wed Mar 22 06:34:06 PST 2000
> newly installed from CD on a slow machine that does not have enough
> memory. They are pretty annoying.
>
> Hmmmm... wasn't there a bug with a similar signature in inetd caused
> by interrupts occurring during malloc and free?

I'm looking into bin/17134, where cron fails to execute commands as a
result of corrupted malloc'ed memory.  While searching the code for
possible problems, I've found a problem in the code (in
usr.sbin/cron/lib/env.c) that might cause the warning you describe in a
certain situation after a malloc() fails.  I could send my diff to you if
you like.  I've been waiting to commit anything until I found the solution
that solves 17134...

BTW, Your idea about signals and malloc/free may help me solve 17134 -- I
have been reading & rereading the code for a couple of weeks, and I still
have not found anything in the code that looks like it could be source of
the problem.

Guy

Guy Helmer, Ph.D. Candidate, Iowa State University Dept. of Computer Science
Research Assistant, Dept. of Computer Science   ---   ghelmer@cs.iastate.edu
http://www.cs.iastate.edu/~ghelmer