Date:      Thu, 22 Mar 2001 09:21:31 +1100
From:      Tony Landells <ahl@austclear.com.au>
To:        "Hamilton Hoover" <hamilton.hoover@onebox.com>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: shell question

hamilton.hoover@onebox.com said:
> can sombody tell me what the tcsh equivalent to the sh  2>&1 is?

I don't believe it has one.  With csh-based shells you generally
have the option to redirect stdout only "command > output" or
stdout and stderr together "command >& output_and_errors".

Anything more complex than that requires using subshells--something
like this

	( command > output ) >& errors

will capture stdout and stderr separately, whereas something like this

	command > output >& errors

will capture nothing more than the error message "Ambiguous output redirect".

This is one reason I prefer to use something like bash...

Tony
--
Tony Landells					<ahl@austclear.com.au>
Senior Network Engineer				Ph:  +61 3 9677 9319