Date:      Fri, 25 Jul 2003 13:37:44 -0700
From:      "Mooneer Salem" <mooneer@translator.cx>
To:        "'Matthew D. Fuller'" <fullermd@over-yonder.net>
Cc:        freebsd-chat@freebsd.org
Subject:   RE: BSD certification.

Hello,

I guess the only way you can avoid being artificial would be to order
services at the candidate's place of employment (like servers) and
randomly monitor how the box is administered throughout the year. Even
then that'd have problems (what if the guy/girl going for the
certification isn't currently working?) Not to mention the extra expense
the exam would then require.

The way I outlined would probably be the closest approximation to a real
systems administration situation (the prevention aspects of it could be
covered in the multiple-choice/written portion). In short, there's
really no perfect way to determine a candidate's competency other than
through experience and their references.

Thanks,

--
Mooneer Salem
"The 8-ball won't tell me if I'll pass the final!"