Date:      Tue, 20 Apr 1999 12:03:47 +0930
From:      Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        FreeBSD Chat <chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Cross Posting...

On Monday, 19 April 1999 at 19:25:52 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:
>> In fact, cross posting is good.  The bad thing is that people on both
>> lists get multiple copies, and that's a mail implementation issue.
>
> I think you're ignoring human nature here - one cross-posted message
> invariably (and I mean almost *always*) leads to every single reply
> which follows it going also to multiple lists.  For really
> contraversial threads, you can also count on the cross-posting fest to
> eventually mutate to the point where the messages being cross posted
> have nothing to do with *any* of the lists they're being posted to,
> making hash out of the "relevance" argument.

Agreed.  That's a separate issue, though.  I was referring to a case
where the message really is relevant to several groups, and most
members are on more than one of them.  An allied problem is when
following up to a message, it's appropriate to include the people
personally, even though they're on the list, so that their mail reader
has the opportunity to flag the message accordingly--thus I have
replied to you and cc:d -chat, even though you're on -chat.

> And don't say it doesn't happen because I've probably chewed you out
> as much as anyone for ignoring inappropriate cc lines in your own
> replies. :-)

Sure.  I certainly wasn't going to say that.  But I do change the
subject line where appropriate.  And to avoid more chewing out, I've
taken the others off the cc: list.

> When you're dealing with hundreds of emails, the predilection for
> simply replying without ever even looking at the cc lines is very
> strong indeed.

Right, that's why we've caught you at it, too :-)

Greg