Date:      Tue, 24 Sep 2013 14:12:05 +0200
From:      Ivan Voras <ivoras@freebsd.org>
To:        freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: IO Performance under VMware on LSI RAID controller

--6MUKxr58EfAMLngETMfV6CWSFFN3S6DWH

On 20/09/2013 15:08, Guy Helmer wrote:
> On Sep 19, 2013, at 11:25 AM, Guy Helmer <guy.helmer@gmail.com> wrote:
>=20
>> Normally I build VMware ESXi servers with enterprise-class WD SATA dri=
ves and I/O performance in FreeBSD VMs on the servers is fine.
>> Whenever I build a VMware ESXi server with a RAID controller, IO perfo=
rmance is awful in FreeBSD VMs. I've previously seen this effect with VMw=
are ESXi 3ware 9690SA-8I and 9650 RAID controllers, and now I'm seeing si=
milar performance with a Dell 6/iR controller.

>> Any suggestions would be appreciated.
>>
>> Guy
>=20
> (Replying to self due to hint received off-list)
>=20
> I seem to remember controllers mentioned previously by FreeBSD device d=
river developers that don't deal well with large I/O requests. It turns o=
ut that may be the case with VMware device drivers as well -- reducing th=
e VMware Disk.DiskMaxIOSize value from its huge default of 32676KB to 32K=
B seems to have helped. Disk ops/sec in the FreeBSD VM are now peaking ov=
er 400/sec.

Interesting that the problem shows only on RAID controllers. Do you have
any ideas why this reduction helps (did you find a FAQ or a forum post)?
The default RAID stripe size in LSI is 64 KiB, maybe it would help even
further to align it also?