Date:      Mon, 22 Jan 2001 11:17:00 +1300
From:      Jonathan Chen <jonc@itouch.co.nz>
To:        Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
Cc:        questions <questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Help with printer setup

On Sat, Jan 20, 2001 at 11:21:24AM -0600, Drew Sanford wrote:
> I'm trying to set up a printer on 4.2-stable and running into some
> problems. I looked at the handbook, and figured that sensably enough,
> the first thing to do was to try lptest > lpt0 to see if everything was
> talking nicely. After a second or 5, it printed one line of the ascii
> charactor set across the top of the page (from ! to o) and then a " at
> the righthand end of the next line, then ejected that sheet of paper,
> loaded another, and sat there. The trouble shooting section of the
> handbook doesn't appear to deal with this situation.

This sounds like the common staircasing effect. You need a linefeed
converter filter for this queue. Create a script like this:

	#!/bin/sh
	#
	#	Add a \r to each line
	#
	awk '{ print $0,"\r"; }'

and add an entry to this script file in /etc/printcap, eg:

	if=/path/to/the/script/file

--
Jonathan Chen <jonathan.chen@itouch.co.nz>