Date:      Wed, 25 Jul 2001 14:56:52 +0200
From:      Christoph Sold <so@server.i-clue.de>
To:        Hans Zaunere <zaunere@yahoo.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Patches Question

Hans Zaunere wrote:

> I notice that a lot of applications need to be patched
> to work on FreeBSD correctly.  I am wondering, from a
> strictly technical standpoint, what these patches are
> for.  How are they common?  What is it about FreeBSD
> that makes these patches neseccary?

There are a lot of different Unix systems. Patches are needed to adapt
applications written for another Unix-like platform to compile.

This is true for all Unix Systems, including various linux
distributions. What makes [Free]BSD pretty unique is the method to
collect those patches in one place, and provide them to the user. That's
what the ports directory is for.

For other systems, the user has to collect those patches herself, or she
has to rely on the distribution/vendor to do the patches for her.

HTH
-Christoph Sold