Date:      Wed, 04 Sep 2002 11:48:38 -0700
From:      Joe Kelsey <joek@mail.flyingcroc.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Defaults of mozilla-headers, mozilla-embedded

Clearly, www/mozilla should track the latest stable releases, i.e., 1.1,
1.2, etc.

mozilla-headers and mozilla-embedded need to track what the various
other ports need to build their stuff.  Currently, galeon is stuck in
mozilla 1.0.x compatability, and it is not clear what galeon2 will
track.  They may get stick into some sort of 1.x compatability, although
the mozilla.org roadmap says that there is an api freeze for the entire
1.x branch, so it is not clear what is breaking galeon from using 1.1,
but since I don't use galeon, I don't know the issue.

java uses mozilla-headers, but again, it should be able to use the
latest stable version of headers.  I don't know of any issue in java
that would break with the changes in headers, since it uses them for
plugin areas and clearly, my experience with the java plugin is that it
works *so* much better in 1.1 than in 1.0.

So, I think the default needs to be that www/mozilla tracks 1.1, etc.
www/mozilla-embedded tracks 1.0.x, www/mozilla-headers tracks 1.1, etc.

My last words on this subject...

/Joe