Date:      Tue, 4 Oct 2005 13:36:45 -0700
From:      John-Mark Gurney <gurney_j@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Ragnar Lonn <raglon@packetfront.com>
Cc:        Ceri Davies <ceri@submonkey.net>, Gleb Smirnoff <glebius@FreeBSD.org>, net@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: ng_tee, right2left, et al

Ragnar Lonn wrote this message on Tue, Oct 04, 2005 at 18:58 +0200:
> Ceri Davies wrote:
>
> >I only call it "wrong" as it didn't agree with Archie's article or my
> >expectations, hence the quotes - I realise that it's subjective.
> >
> >It just seems to me that packets leaving left2right would go to right,
> >as the name implies.  I don't really mind either way, it's simply that
> >I found it confusing.
> >

> It's not, really. A good idea is to draw the tee node and its hooks on a
> piece of paper.
> Here is an ASCII attempt:
>

> left --- right
>     \    /
>     /    \
>  r2l    l2r
>
> The drawing shows that the left hook is associated with the left2right hook:
> When packets come in on the left hook they are forwarded to the left2right
> hook. Logically, that means they are connected, like in the drawing above,
> and that also means that packets can go in the other direction - i.e. from
> the left2right hook and to the left hook.

I personally imagined the picture like:
	        l2r
	    /	       \
	left		right
	    \          /
	      <<<v<<<<
		r2l

where the l2r and r2l are taps into the line that goes a certain way... and
so, it'd mean that sending a package on the r2l hook goes to left instead
of right..  not that I use net graph much, but just thought I'd show how
I thought of it...

Though if the behavior matches what the man page states, that's all that
matters, and my drawing is invalidated...

--
  John-Mark Gurney				Voice: +1 415 225 5579