Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 15:09:41 -0400
From:      Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   switching between 2 network connections

At work we have 2 separate networks. One is an internal network
where my machine, running 4.3, has been assigned a static IP number.

The 2nd connection is via a DSL line that has a small box acting as a
firewall and DHCP server.

During the day I want to use the DSL line and let the machine pick up
the IP number from the DHCP server since this connection has much
more bandwidth than our internal network.

At nights and weekends I need to switch my box over to use the static
IP number in order to to receive and send out some files at night.

What the easiest and quickest way for me to switch my connection over
essentially twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before I leave?

Do I need to install a 2nd network card for ease? If so how do I tell FreeBSD
which card to use?

Now when I want to go from the static IP network to DHCP I use
/stand/sysinstall.
Going back from DHCP to static IP doesn't work for me unless I reboot
since I don't
know the magic to do otherwise.

TIA for any help.

Jim