Date:      Thu, 07 Dec 2000 04:53:28 +0000
From:      John Murphy <john253@crosswinds.net>
To:        Michael Walsh <mikkel@bluegrass.net>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: problem with make depend

Michael Walsh wrote:

>As a newbie, I am trying to follow the directions in the Handbook for
>setting up my FreeBSD box as a gateway for my ADSL connection.  In doing
>so, I have run up against a wall with the step where I am supposed to =
put
>new devices in the copy of my kernel and recompile it.  I get to the =
"make
>depend" part and each time, it starts to do the make, but doesn't =
complete
>it.  The last line of the make is:
>
>../../dev/xe/if_xe.c:138: card_if.h: No such file or directory
>mkdep: compile failed
>***Error code 1
>
>Stop in /usr/src/sys/compile/MYKERNAL

=46rom /sys/i386/conf/LINT I find that device xe is:
xe: Xircom/Intel EtherExpress Pro100/16 PC Card ethernet controller.
so you probably have a line in your kernel config like:
device xe which you can remove or comment out.

>It appears I am missing a file in the ../../dev/xe folder, but I am =
unsure
>how to go about getting this file and placing it there.  Or, I may be =
doing
>something else wrong that I don't know about.  I only commented out =
lines
>in the MYKERNAL file that were obviously not in my system like pcmcia =
stuff
>and scsi stuff.  And I did follow the directions for creating devices =
for
>my network cards (I think).  My devices under the pci ethernet nics =
section
>look like:
>
>device ed0 at isa? port 0x280 irq 10 iomem 0xd8000
>device ed1 at isa? port 0x300 irq 11 iomem 0xd8000=20

These are isa cards of course.  (not pci :-))

>Any suggestions?  Do I just need to add that file that it says doesn't
>exist or is something I am doing in MYKERNAL causing it to call that =
file
>when it shouldn't need to? =20
>
>Help, I'm drowning BSD newbie lake!
>Michael Walsh

The lake is not so deep and there are many good buoys here (sorry ;-))

John.