Date:      Fri, 24 Apr 1998 15:14:05 -0400 (EDT)
From:      Ken MacInnis <spab@hng.clueful.org>
To:        Julian Elischer <julian@whistle.com>
Cc:        Jonathan Lemon <jlemon@americantv.com>, "Roger A. Lowe" <rlowepe@nwlink.com>, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: What are you?

On Fri, 24 Apr 1998, Julian Elischer wrote:

> > > If I understand what I am reading, Unix is a generic name for a group
> > > of operating systems that does very much the same thing as MSDOS.
>
> welllll yes and no..
> UNIX is a geneic name for a set of facilityes that occupy the
> same "Ecological niche" as DOS, but they don't do exactly the
> same thing..

	Unix (more properly, "UNIX", or the Unix SystemV platform now
under the guidance of Unix System Laboratories) is a trademarked name for
a fully independent operating system, once started by Ken Thompson and
Dennis Ritchie (the C guy) for the PDPs, and now owned (the trademark,
that is) by X/Open (from '93-present, I believe).

-kcm

        --+ Ken MacInnis - http://bigmac.nether.net/
        --+ bigmac@elbbs.com bigmac@clueful.org bigmac@wasteland.net
        --+ give me ambiguity or give me something else.