Date:      Sun, 8 Sep 1996 10:56:11 PST
From:      "John McNamee" <jpm@microwiz.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: PAP Enabled Getty/ Windows 95 Support

On  7 Sep 96 at 17:18, Ali Lomonaco <ali@axis.axisnet.net> wrote:

> I have used Joe Greco's PAP enabled getty rather than mgetty.  It
> lets the MODEM answer instead of FreeBSD.  I believe this is a better
> approach then using mgetty.

This is an important difference, and people should consider which approach is
best for them.  I doubt there is one correct answer.

I prefer mgetty.  If my terminal server is dead, I'd prefer the phone not
answer, rather than answering but having nothing work.  Users understand no
answer means the system is dead -- if it connects but doesn't work, the user
is left wondering if it's their problem or mine.

--
John McNamee <jpm@microwiz.com>                 MicroWizards
Voice: 702-825-3535 / FAX: 702-825-3443         http://www.microwiz.com