Date:      Thu, 08 Feb 2001 16:54:46 -0800
From:      Mike Smith <msmith@freebsd.org>
To:        Greg Lehey <grog@lemis.com>
Cc:        "Matt W." <kmx@egatobas.org>, misc@openbsd.org, mobile@FreeBSD.org
Subject:   Re: Inspiron fan problems (was: laptop cpu fan)

> [originally posted to misc@OpenBSD.org; adding mobile@FreeBSD.org]
>
> On Thursday,  8 February 2001 at  0:08:17 -0600, Matt W. wrote:
> > I've got a Dell Inspirion 5000e and was wondering if there is anyway to
> > get obsd 2.8 to run a nop loop in the background when the processor
> > isn't being used.  The reason i ask this is the cpu fan is on constantly
> > even when nothing is happening.
>
> I've noticed a similar problem with my Inspiron 7500 running FreeBSD.
> I think it's a bug in the OS.

It's got nothing to do with the OS, at least not unless the OpenBSD
people are doing better than anyone else and have ACPI working on the
Inspirons.

It appears to be a "feature" of the firmware in the platform management
controller, and there's nothing you can do about it (you might try
checking for a BIOS upgrade, although I'm not certain that the EC
firmware is actually part of this).

Regards,
Mike