Date:      Fri, 01 Sep 2006 09:31:06 -0400
From:      Gabriel O'Brien <obrieng@nm.cbc.ca>
To:        FreeBSD User List <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Why sendmail?

Erik Trulsson wrote:

> For those people who prefer to use some other MTA it is not difficult to
> install one from ports and use it instead of Sendmail.

Indeed.  While I do sometimes question the sense of defaulting to
sendmail due to its baggage, it's so trivial to change the MTA that it's
largely a non-issue.  In the interest of being close to a "reference
implementation" of BSD it does make some sense as a default even if I'd
never run it on a prod box myself.  It hardly seems worth the churn.

Insert $0.02 here.

cheers,
Gabriel

--