Date:      Sun, 3 Jan 1999 09:19:03 -0600 (CST)
From:      Pilo Phlat <dono@async.org>
To:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   finger: Permission denied ?

Hi,

I'm having a bit of trouble figuring out why /usr/bin/finger is not
working on FreeBSD 3.0-RELEASE. It works okay as root, but as non-root,
finger says "Permission denied" when doing a "finger" or "finger
valid_user". When I do a "finger nonexistant-user", I get
"nonexistant-user: no such user". I checked the permission of
/var/run/utmp, /var/log/lastlog, /etc/pwd.db, /etc/passwd and so on. They
are world-readable, and its parent directories are accessible. I've
removed some users, like 'uucp', 'pop', and 'xten', but see no reason why
this should be causing the problem. Let me know what I did wrong here.

-d.

KeyID 1024/570E72C5
Fingerprint 8A 74 C8 E4 A8 8D 00 FE  01 EF 9F BB 75 38 17 6F