Date:      Thu, 25 May 2000 16:36:32 -0500
From:      Drew Sanford <drew@planetwe.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound on Dell inspiron

Hi,
	I have FreeBSD 4.0 (from the CD) on a Dell Inspiron laptop. I'm running
the KDE desktop, and was wondering how to fix an error with the mixer. When
trying to start the mixer I get the following error:

kmix: could not open mixer.
Perhaps you have no permission to access the mixer device.
Login as root and do a 'chmod a+rw /dev/mixer*' to allow the access.

Well, I can't find /dev/mixer* ect...I am assuming that since I never actually
did it, that sound on this laptop is not configured. I'm familiar with linux,
and alot of stuff in BSD looks "the same, only different", so I'm assuming I'm
going to have to configure the sound. My 	questions are these:

	Is the configuration process for sound on FreeBSD and Linux basicly the
same, or is this one of the things thats different?
	Has anyone configured sound on one of these beasts before, and can they
provide some clues?

I'm not sure what sort of card is in this laptop either (I suppose I could boot
NT and look, but I'd really rather not.) TIA for any help.

--
Drew Sanford
Systems Administrator