Date:      Mon, 5 Nov 2007 14:47:46 -0600
From:      "Mark Miles" <mmiles@i20a.com>
To:        freebsd-pf@freebsd.org
Subject:   carp_iamatch filling up system log

I am getting a lot of errors using the carpdev BETA patch against HEAD
provided by Max a few days ago.  I don't know if I should be concerned
about them or if they are just informational.  These are the main two
carp/vlan devices causing errors, but it happens on others as well -
at random times.

carp_iamatch(vlan2, xx.xxx.xx.37, xx.xx.xxx.137, ...)
not: carp2
carp_iamatch(vlan6, xx.xxx.xx.6, xx.xx.xxx.169, ...)
not: carp6

fxp1: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
metric 0 mtu 1500
        options=4b<RXCSUM,TXCSUM,VLAN_MTU,POLLING>
        ether 00:02:b3:4d:0b:58
        media: Ethernet 100baseTX <full-duplex>
        status: active

vlan2: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:02:b3:4d:0b:58
        media: Ethernet 100baseTX <full-duplex>
        status: active
        vlan: 2 parent interface: fxp1

vlan6: flags=8943<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,PROMISC,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST>
metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:02:b3:4d:0b:58
        media: Ethernet 100baseTX <full-duplex>
        status: active
        vlan: 6 parent interface: fxp1

carp2: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:00:5e:00:01:02
        inet xx.xxx.xxx.137 netmask 0xfffffff8
        carp: BACKUP carpdev vlan2 vhid 2 advbase 1 advskew 200

carp6: flags=8843<UP,BROADCAST,RUNNING,SIMPLEX,MULTICAST> metric 0 mtu 1500
        ether 00:00:5e:00:01:06
        inet xx.xx.xxx.169 netmask 0xfffffff8
        carp: BACKUP carpdev vlan6 vhid 6 advbase 1 advskew 200

I also got this error when I had an IP on fxp0 and carp100 using carpdev fxp0:

arp: xx.xxx.xx.34 is on fxp0 but got reply from 00:03:47:71:a8:b3 on carp100
carp_iamatch(fxp0, xx.xxx.xx.37, xx.xxx.xx.34, ...)
arp: xx.xxx.xx.33 is on fxp0 but got reply from 00:0c:f1:bb:66:84 on carp100

Please advise, I am filling up message logs at the rate of every 3 hours!!

On a side note, this machine is serves vlan trunks which is why I
needed carpdev in the first place (as to not waste more usable public
ips with two gateway ips in a /29 that are silent just to run the one
gateway needed), thus giving my customers 2 useable IP addresses.
With carpdev I can give them 5.  Currently, an OpenBSD 4.2-current box
serves as the "MASTER" and I am using a FreeBSD 8.0-CURRENT box to
serve as "BACKUP".  When I rebooted the OpenBSD box, everything failed
over as it should, but I got more carp_iamatch errors on almost every
vlan/carp pair.  Could the OpenBSD <-> FreeBSD differences in carp be
causing these errors??

Thanks for any assistance,

Mark Miles
Network Manager