Date:      Wed, 18 Jul 2001 07:29:41 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "f.johan.beisser" <jan@caustic.org>
To:        khayman <khayman@carolina.rr.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: pccard NIC initialization order

On Wed, 18 Jul 2001, khayman wrote:

> Hello all,
>
> I just finished building 4.3-stable on an IBM Stinkpad 600x.  After a
> few snafus, its up and running.  Then i learned that my Cardbus nic
> wasn't supported so I threw in a 10-base pcmcia nic.  The new (or old as
> the case may be) nic works fine, it just initializes after I'm presented
> with a login prompt and does not get a dhcp address.

ok. what's the line in your /etc/rc.conf for this card?

> If I run dhclient (which I dont really know how to do properly) I get an
> address fine but get all sorts of IPv6 errors (not supported) output to
> the screen for the duration of the system's uptime.

try to run 'dhclient <interface>', that should help stop those
errors. read the man page for dhclient.

> Can someone point me in the right direction (or blatantly tell me if you
> feel like it),  on how to initialize the card earlier so that it gets an
> address without having to run dhclient?  Or let me know the proper usage
> of running dhclient?

well, the DHCP option on the card's interface just runs dhclient
anyway. it's the same effect.

make sure that you have pccard_enable set to yes, and
pccard_ifconfig="DHCP" aswell.

that should solve most of your problems.

> My rc.conf file has the interface defined as dhcp.

which interface?

  http://caustic.org/~jan                      jan@caustic.org
 "which then led me to realize leading my life by the motto 'i'm not
      as bad as jan' would still let me get away with A LOT"
	--- j. leah williams, University of Chicago, 19 Jan, 2001