Date:      Wed, 20 Jun 2001 16:33:52 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
To:        Jim Arnold <jim@ohio.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: switching between 2 network connections

On Wed, 20 Jun 2001, Jim Arnold wrote:

> At work we have 2 separate networks. One is an internal network where
> my machine, running 4.3, has been assigned a static IP number.
>
> The 2nd connection is via a DSL line that has a small box acting as a
> firewall and DHCP server.
>
> During the day I want to use the DSL line and let the machine pick up
> the IP number from the DHCP server since this connection has much more
> bandwidth than our internal network.
>
> At nights and weekends I need to switch my box over to use the static
> IP number in order to to receive and send out some files at night.
>
> What the easiest and quickest way for me to switch my connection over
> essentially twice a day, once in the morning and once at night before
> I leave?
>
> Do I need to install a 2nd network card for ease? If so how do I tell
> FreeBSD which card to use?

	If the DSL & Private networks are physically seperated then
	a second network card would be ideal.  1 connected to the DSL and
	the other to your private network...

	If they are on the same physcial network, then setting up a
	static alias for your private network on your ethernet card would
	work OK as well.

	Then add any private routes for your file transfering when needed.

> Now when I want to go from the static IP network to DHCP I use
> /stand/sysinstall. Going back from DHCP to static IP doesn't work for
> me unless I reboot since I don't know the magic to do otherwise.

	man ifconfig

Nick Rogness <nick@rogness.net>
 - Keep on Routing in a Free World...
  "FreeBSD: The Power to Serve!"