Date:      Tue, 27 Mar 2001 00:04:51 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu>
To:        Murray Taylor <mtaylor@bytecraft.com.au>
Cc:        "'freebsd-net@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG>, "'freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org'" <freebsd-hackers@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: DNS rules etc

On Tue, 27 Mar 2001, Murray Taylor wrote:

> I've got the frame relay working, and am waiting now for
> some network delegation stuff external to me to complete.
> However I need to know if it is possible to use DNS
> as detailed below to allow the host spyder be visible to the
> Internet and our intranet, without polluting the nameservers.

The standard way to do this is to have two separate nameserver instances.
The world points at one and all the internal hosts point at the other.
This is generally called 'split DNS.'

Also, having services running on the firewall is a bit tenuous at best.
You generally want to use a separate host for mail, etc. and just
NAT it through.

dwhite@resnet.uoregon.edu     |  www.FreeBSD.org