Date:      Mon, 15 Sep 1997 01:50:48 +0000 (GMT)
From:      Terry Lambert <tlambert@primenet.com>
To:        sef@Kithrup.COM (Sean Eric Fagan)
Cc:        tlambert@primenet.com, hackers@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: nfs startup - perhaps it is a problem

> Since you have not provided any useful information -- such as what exact
> command you were doing, where the packets were going to, what port they
> were, what your hosts file is, what else was running on the system, which
> version of the OS you were running, etc. -- I'm not sure what you expect us
> to do.

I posted my /etc/hosts, my host.conf, and my resolve.conf file.

The command was, logged in as myself and not root:

	rlogin phaeton

The packets were going to the first host in my rc.conf, to port 53;
they were UDP packets doing a reverse lookup for phaeton... a reverse
lookup that should have been satisfied by the "phaeton" entry in
my /etc/hosts file.

Nothing else was running on the system.  not routed, no named, no NIS,
no NFS.  Nothing.

My OS version is 3.0-current as of a week ago.

My OS version is actually the only information I didn't provide before,
mostly because I thought everyone knew from past postings that I
run -current.

> But since I don't have the problem, there's nothing I can do.  There's
> nothing *anyone* can do, I suspect, without being on your system -- but we
> can try to make educated guesses, IF WE HAVE ENOUGH INFORMATION.  The output
> of tcpdump is one of the bits of information that would be useful.

I will rebuild a kernel that can do tcpdump and get back to you;
the rest of the information is in the list archives, and several
other people have voiced a similar complaint.

This was originally a comment by me, not a question, or I would have
posted on questions, like ettiquite requires.

					Regards,
					Terry Lambert
					terry@lambert.org
---