Date:      Sun, 25 Oct 1998 13:13:23 +0000
From:      Christopher Raven <c.raven@ukonline.co.uk>
To:        freebsd-chat <freebsd-chat@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   [Fwd: OS support for active antennas and electromagnetic resonance systems]

--------------31A12DBC5E69EB01FC36E215

I don't know if anyone saw this (or thought it was spam). In any case
I forwarded it to -chat as I know various core members are subscribed
here.

--
Christopher Raven
E-mail: c.raven@ukonline.co.uk & ICQ: 2254369

Date: Fri, 23 Oct 1998 04:04:44 -0700 (PDT)
From: "J. Patrick Bedell" <jpb@cory.EECS.Berkeley.EDU>
To: linux-kernel@vger.rutgers.edu
Cc: freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Sender: owner-freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG

Hi everybody,
	I'm an electrical engineering student at Berkeley who's working on
an on-chip electromagnetic total molecular analysis system.  Using
multiaxis microcoils in CMOS with XeF2 postprocessing, it will be possible
to create a hugely parallel microcoil array.  Each solenoidal microcoil
would form a pore, and by controlling the input voltages to the array, it
should be possible to perform total molecular analysis of a single cell,
or any other collection of molecules.  This would rely on the interaction
of charged (bio)molecules with the electric field imposed by the microcoil
electrodes, as well as the molecular interaction with the applied magnetic
field.  This will enable magnetic deflection of migrating molecules and,
most importantly, nuclear magnetic resonance to manifest itself.
	Right now, I'm trying to design the array of planar microcoils in
standard CMOS (using Magic), and will soon be able to create and receive
low frequency radiation (below 1 MHz or so).  There is a lot of work to
be done before nuclear magnetic resonance experiments can be done with
the solenoidal micropores, but it will happen.
	For magnetic resonance molecular imaging, it will be necessary to
develop software to control the electromagnetic fields to get the most
infomation from the molecular system under analysis.  This electromagnetic
interaction makes wireless communication possible, as well, and that's why
I'm writing to this list.
	How could the hardware for this microcoil array be created to make
it as easy as possible to interface with these EM transceivers?  Is there
any support for active antenna arrays in Linux now?  I am interested in
this because I believe that on-chip microantenna arrays will enable
at least multigigabyte data rates, and that's a Good Thing.  I also
believe that it will be possible to build an NMR quantum computer with
this device, and I am intensely interested in developing Linux support for
quantum coprocessing.
	I'd be especially interested in hearing from people who are
interested in working on operating systems support for active antenna
arrays and spatial-division wave multiplexing.  I'd like to implement a
channel for IP datagrams, upon which can be built systems for mobile
routing and routing ecommerce.
	Feel free to forward this message, if you like.
	Thanks!

	Patrick Bedell
	jpb@cory.eecs.berkeley.edu