Date:      Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:27:47 -0600
From:      Joshua Lokken <joshua.lokken@gmail.com>
To:        Bagus <bagus@cox.net>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: how to get it online

On Wed, 22 Dec 2004 10:20:21 -0600, Bagus <bagus@cox.net> wrote:

> Hi,
>
> I hope this mailing list can help. I just installed freebsd 5.3-Release onto
> a new hard drive and I can't seem to get it online with my dhcp cable modem
> thru a linksys hub. Later it will be moving to a static ip, so any help with
> that transition now would be helpful too, but for now I have the machine at
> home and need to install software on it.
>
> If I give a
> >ifconfig
> fxp0: flags =8802 <bradcast, simplex, multicast> mtu 1500
> options =8<VLAN_MTU>
> ether 00:a0:c9:e6:11:b1
> media: Ethernet autoselect (100baseTX <full-duplex>)
> status:active
> there's    plip0 and lo0 as well...
>
> >ping freebsd.org
> ping: cannot resolve freebsd.org: Host name lookup failure.
>
> As an aside, I'm stunned this isn't a FAQ or part of the freebsd manual:
> "How to get your computer online". Really I'd rather not be posting this
> question to a mailing list. It seems so basic, yet I can't find an answer
> out there. If anyone has any references, I'd appreciate it.

Hostname lookup failure sounds like a dns problem to me.
Is there anything in /etc/resolv.conf ?  How is fxp0 assigned an
IP?  DHCP?  If so, do you have a line like the following in /etc/rc.conf:

ifconfig_fxp0="DHCP"

How did you setup the Linksys?  Default (out-of-the-box) settings?
Is the DHCP server turned on at the router?  What does the status
page of the router settings show?

The FreeBSD Handbook is a great reference:

http://www.freebsd.org/doc/en_US.ISO8859-1/books/handbook/

--
Joshua Lokken
Open Source Advocate