Date:      Sun, 27 May 2001 10:15:20 -0700 (PDT)
From:      "David L. Hays, Jr." <elfkinz@elfland.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Sound card & printer on non-standard IRQ

The problem:
Sound works great through the sound card (Creative Labs CT2230
SoundBlaster 16) as long as I have the lpt port disabled in both ther
kernel and BOIS.  If I try to enable the lpt port the sound card no longer
works.

Part of the problem is that the sound card is on IRQ 7, and I can't find a
way to change it back to 5 (the default)  There are no jumpers on the card
to change it.  So, what I have done to try to resolve a possible confilct
is to change my lpt port through the BIOS to IRQ 5.

FreeBSD 4.3-Stable
Kernel Config:
# Parallel port
device         ppc0    at isa? port? irq 5 drq 3
device         ppbus           # Parallel port bus (required)
device         lpt             # Printer

# Sound card
device          pcm
device          sbc0    at isa? port 0x220 irq 7 drq 1 flags 0x15

The sound card is not PnP.  I have tried removing everything after the sbc
part (Including the 0).

dmesg output for the sound card:
bc0: <Soundblaster 16> at port 0x220-0x22f irq 7 drq 1 on isa0
sbc0: alloc_resource
device_probe_and_attach: sbc0 attach returned 6

I would like to do one of two things:
1. change the IRQ used by the soundcard back to the default, so the lpt
port can do the same.  (I know that a utility for this once existed, but I
have been unable to find it on Creative's site)  or ...
2. Find out what else needs to change for the lpt port so that It can use
IRQ 5 and not cause a confilct with the sound card.

Thanks for any help!

--
|   David L. Hays, Jr.   |   david@elfland.net   |   http://www.elfland.net   |
 The normal make a living ... the deranged make history.